by Seila Rizvic
As SPARK has continued to grow over the past few years, we’ve gotten tons of requests from girls asking how they can become a part of our organization. Well here’s the moment you’ve been waiting for: SPARK is looking for new members to join our team!
If you are interested in becoming a part of an international group of girls who come together to fight against negative depictions of women in media, SPARK is the place for you. SPARK has been the force behind massive nationwide petitions against Seventeen Magazine and LEGO, as well as bringing our voice to the national conversation on sexual assault on high school and college campuses. These petitions have brought in a combined total of over 200,000 signatures, in addition to coverage across nearly all the major news outlets, including CNN, ABC News, Huffington Post, and NPR.
What can SPARK offer you?
- A supportive environment of girls and women who love to collaborate, communicate ideas and support each other.
- The chance to learn how to plan and execute both local and national activist campaigns.
- Writing experience! You’ll be a published blogger with a repertoire of online work.
- Online trainings and workshops to help you hone your feminist knowledge.
- Real and valuable experience in the world of activism.
- The opportunity to make your voice heard.
- Money! We pay $25 per blog/action.
What should you offer us?
We’re looking for enthusiastic activists who:
- are between the ages of 13 and 22.
- have great writing skills and an interest in blogging and organizing.
- are passionate about fighting back against sexualization of girls and women in media.
- have between 15 and 25 hours a month to dedicate to SPARK.
My own experience at SPARK over the past two years has been incredible. The people that I have had the privilege to work with and the opportunities I have had presented to me are incomparable with any other job I’ve had in the past. My fellow SPARKteam members were supportive and inspiring, the leadership is incredibly dedicated, and our projects are ambitious and always exciting. Not to mention how rewarding our work is! There is nothing like the satisfaction of seeing petition signatures grow exponentially overnight, or of watching your fellow SPARKteammates doing interviews on national TV or, best of all, the excitement of finally receiving the news that your campaign was a success.
No matter your level of experience, SPARK is a great place (the greatest place?) to come and develop the activist skills necessary to create change in the world. Apply! Download the application here (in .doc form) and send it to email@example.com by SUNDAY, MAY 19th! Good luck!
UPDATE: due to overwhelming demand, we’re extending the application deadline to FRIDAY, MAY 24th, at MIDNIGHT EST. Get those apps in!
Want to take action with SPARK but don’t have the time to commit to the SPARKteam? Click here to join the SPARK Action Squad!